Monday, January 31, 2011

The Big D: You do the math.

I take 20,000iu of vitamin D per day. (That may seem like a lot, but it works for me.)
I am almost out of my current bottle, so last night I stopped at Wal-Mart to pick up some more. I didn't think to look at the capsule dosages and just grabbed a double pack (on sale!).
When I got home I realized that I bought two bottles of 1,000iu capsules.
That works out to 20 pills per day.
So not gonna happen. I better find my receipt.

17 comments:

LadyD said...

Ugh.Yes,that would be alot of pill swallowing:) we like the liquid drops.

Jodi said...

Pill popper. :)
Don't forget to add in those yummy Fenugreek pills.

erin said...

LadyD, NAST.
Jodi, NAST.

Jamie said...

20,000? I thought 2,000/day was the max?

erin said...

Jamie, I dunno. My nutritionist (Kelli) told me it's very difficult to OD on D. My usual dose is 10K, but I doubled it for the "worst months." ;)

Jamie said...

I recently was listening to a speaker (too bad I don't remember her name!) who recommended 2,000 a day, which was what the same as what both of our doctors told us to take, since Joey and I each had low vitamin D levels. The speaker told us that we should take no more than 1,000 at a time, as our bodies weren't able to absorb more than that at once. Who knows though, I don't know how they even know this stuff anyway! Here's to taking vitamin D, at any amount, in this frigid, sunless tundra we currently live in!

Carla said...

If 10 pills are good, aren't 20 better?? :)

Ask Zach McCabe.

Kandi said...

I was prescribed one 50,000 IU pill to be taken once per week.
Yeah.
My body used up all the D in the first two days, so by the end of the week I was a mess.
I now take 5,000 per day. I notice that doubling this dose isn't necessarily better (my eyes are so open, they feel like dinner plates).

Kelli said...

I take the drops, too. 12-15,000 iu/day. If you mix them in with juice, you don't even taste them, so not so "nast"! :)

Jamie, here's a link that will tell you much more about Vitamin D. Things are changing all the time and research is showing links to D deficiency and many health-related problems.

http://www.wellnessandprevention.com/

Kelli said...

One of the comments is this article states that humans don't show Vitamin D toxicity anywhere up to 40,000 iu...and that's only after taking it "chronically"...that's 100 - 400 iu capsules.

Now THAT'S a lot of pill swallowing.

The other comment that caught me was us worrying about Vitamin D toxicity is like dying of thirst in the desert and worrying about drowning. Excellent!

erin said...

I think it's worth mentioning that I take the walmart pills...I think if I was taking a better brand, I probably wouldn't need such a high dose. I dunno. I just made that up.

erin said...

I mean, according to the Desvousges Research Institute...

Anonymous said...

How Much Is Too Much?
Vitamin D overdose typically happens over a period of time rather than from a single large dose. This is because, unlike most other essential nutrients we consume, the body does not excrete excess vitamin D. Instead, it is stored in the body's fat cells where it can accumulate to toxic levels over time. Due to this, there is a daily maximum any person can take on a regular, daily basis known as the Upper Intake Level. According to the National Institutes of Health, the Upper Intake Levels (ULs) for vitamin D are as follows:

•Birth to 12 months of age: 25 micrograms (1,000 IU) a day
•One year of age or older: 50 micrograms (2,000 IU) a day
Studies have also shown that, taken over long periods of time, consumption of vitamin D in amounts above these amounts above (the ULs) will result in toxicity. The amount of time it takes for this toxicity to develop will vary depending on the amount taken daily and the age of the patient. For example, children under the age of 12 months with a sustained intake of 1,000 micrograms (40,000 IU) a day will produce toxicity in just one to four months. For adults, 2,500 micrograms (100,000 IU) a day may result in toxicity in a few months.

erin said...

Thanks for the info, Anon.

Kelli said...

And yet, another link. :)

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml

Kandi said...

Erin! You have a troll!
Don't you feel special now? :)

Melissa said...

I take 1200 IU per day and recently had my Vit D levels checked and they were on the low side of normal. I've researched this topic quite a bit and I would advise having your levels checked within a few months just to make sure you aren't taking too much. It can happen eventually. I've been taking 1200 for a year now and I can definitely tell that this year's SAD was almost nonexistent. Last year it was bad. Every time it rained I wanted to cry. Or is that normal? :)