Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Misshapen

I am finally able to write about this without crying, cussing or grimacing (mostly).
Four to six weeks ago, I went to get my eyebrows threaded (if you don't know what that means, google it).
Now, let me just say that getting my eyebrows done is a pretty frivolous expense for me since I really don't have a lot of eyebrows to work with. Essentially, my eyebrows are clear. BUT, I can't see to do my own very well (because I am 70 years old), so it's nice to put my face in the hands of a professional.
So...like I said, four to six weeks ago, I went to get my eyebrows threaded. We had walked around the mall with some friends and stopped for a treat at McDonald's (for Shirley: a strawberry milkshake and for me: an iced coffee) on our way to the eyebrow threading place.
Upon arriving, I told Shirley not to spill her ice cream and please be quiet, we'll be done in a minute, right before I spilled most of my enormous iced coffee all over the floor.
The threading lady said, "There is a SIGN! No food allowed!"
I said, "I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry!"
She said, "There's a SIGN! You spilled your coffee on the floor!"
I said, "I'm so sorry!"
She said, "THERE'S A SIGN!"
I said, "I didn't see the sign! I'm so sorry!"
She said, "NO FOOD ALLOWED!"
I said, "Well, it's TOO LATE NOW! Do you want me to clean it up or WHAT?"
She then proceeded to hand me ONE paper towel.
From there, the details are hazy, but I distinctly remember her snatching the pink milkshake out of stunned Shirley's hand and setting it on a faraway counter.
And after that, I got in her chair and let her decimate my face.
I don't know why I did it, but I think I was just so embarrassed and startled that she would shriek at me the way she did that I just got in the chair to make it stop.
So for the last four to six weeks I have had to bear the shame of not seeing the NO FOOD ALLOWED sign and spilling my coffee on the floor ...in the middle of my face.

8 comments:

Kandi said...

Wow. I've had my eyebrows threaded a few times over the years. Although I can't say it's a fun activity, it's gotta be better than waxing. And it's always been done well.

I wish I had been there with you, so I could have either (a) helped you clean and lightened the mood, or (b) told the lady to do unmentionable things to herself, dumped Shirley's treat on the floor, and walked out.

And then I would have bought replacement treats for you both. :)

Jodi said...

Wow.

I wouldn't have let you get in the chair.

At least you now know where NOT to go.

Naomi said...

Erin, I am supremely disappointed that there is not a photo to go with this post...

Unknown said...

I agree with Naomi. Pictures or it never happened.

Jolene said...

Wow - sounds like some pretty amazing customer service there. I am sorry you were subjected to that kind of treatment. Her rudeness is shocking!

the fam said...

I have been thinking about this post more than I usually think about a post (not just yours...anyone's). It is fascinating (in the scary sense of the word) to me how things in life can go badly so quickly, through, what seems to be no fault of our own. Because I believe God is in control and there are no coincidences, I spend a great deal of my time wondering what the purpose of [the event that went badly] was. Was I supposed to learn something? (Ususally I don't.) Was I supposed to react differently? (Usually I can't see how.) How should I apply this event to future knowledge? (Usually the event is so one-off-ish that I can't imagine something similar ever happening again.) DId God keep me from something worse by creating a distraction? (I suppose I won't know that until I am with him.) So I am left to ponder, why?

Along the lines of things that make me ponder what God is doing: I recently read "The Empire of the Summer Moon" by SC Gwynne. It recounts the last days of the Comanche Indians on the plains of Texas, Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado... and the life of Quanah Parker, the fiercest of the fierce and the last of the last Comanche warriors. The Comanches were very aboriginal and exisited at such a low level of what we would call civilization for several hundred years. They truly lived a subsistance lifestyle. They followed the buffalo and could move camp on very short notice. No government, no religion, no written language, no agriculture, etc. It was chilling to read at times, because they lacked any understanding of morality outside protecting their women and children. Their attacks on settlers in the areas they occupied was truly grotesque. It made me wonder what God's plan for them was. They apparently had no meaningful contact with any sort of religous groups who would have brought them the gospel. They had a 600 year reign on the great plains. That's a long time. I have thought about Quanah and his Commanches a whole bunch.

the fam said...

That last post (and this one) is me...

Carole

Am I going to get to see you on your trek to Ohio?

Anonymous said...

I was going to send you a message on facebook, but I am falling out of love with fb, so I decided this is the best way to contact you...

Don't know what your plans are in Columbus but I thought I 'd recommend a few things in case you are looking for things to do...

Easton Town Centre - Ohio's answer to the MOA. It was just opening when we moved there, and on my first visit I said "This is the lousiest concept for a mall I have ever seen. It will never make it." Visit and you will see how wrong I was! (Jess used to work there at the Ocean Club [great seafood] and The Gap.

New Albany - Just east of the Easton Town Center. If you are in to gawking at mansions and seeing how the other 1% lives. (developed by the man who owns The Limited Company which at on time was: Abercrombie & Fitch; Yankee Candle, Bath & Body Works, the Limited, Express, Victoria's Secret, etc, etc.) Sean's first trip there caused him to label it "Stepfordwifeville," I believe. (we lived further east about 20 miles in Granville. It is fun town to walk around in. The "Whit's Custard" on Broadway (main street) is not to be missed)

COSI - the children's museum, not the restaurant. Great fun for kids.

North Market - fun vendors in an old market space

Columbus Zoo (& aquarium and water park) - (if you're into zoos) is one of the nation's best. It is Jack Hanna's zoo.

Columbus Commons - a new park opening May 26 in downtown Columbus. Designed just for kids with lots to do.

Have a great time.

Carole