Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Christmas Angst

You know what I hate more than the Little Drummer Boy?
Giving a gift, having someone open it, and the look on their face says, "Oh."
I hate that! I never want that to happen. I love giving gifts, and I want the receiver to he as excited about their gift as I am, you know?
It's this fear that drives me.
For some reason, however, this year is different than any other. For the past two years I have freaked out about the M-I-L, and ended up doing something lame-o. But this year is different because I have really great presents for the in-laws, and just mediocre gifts for my own family. I had the perfect gift for my mom, then discovered it wasn't quite right, went back for another, and still, it's not quite right. Lauren and McClain are easy--we always make Christmas Agreements. "I'll buy you this if you'll buy me this..." But I have yet to have a moment of glorious inspiration for my dad. I have purchased several gifts for him, but none of them are quite right.
I am feeling very discouraged, friends and brethren. The in-laws were easy this year, and I feel like my whole world is upside down!
(LOL)

2 comments:

Naomi said...

I am right there with you Erin. I put so much thought into the gifts I give, and it is always painfully obvious when the receiver is not excited about the gift. You cant fake the kind of excitement that comes with the perfect gift. I feel the same way about some of the gifts I bought this year, but I am too pooped to do anything about it right now. I am beginning to get holiday burn-out too.

Anonymous said...

I gave a gift like that this Christmas. I thought the receiver would appreciate the gift, but alas. Note to Receiver: Go ahead and take them back if you don't want them!