Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Let's Talk

I need to get some things off my chest. Two things actually.
1. Stop sending me Christmas Cards.
I announced at the beginning of the Christmas season that I would NOT be sending Christmas Cards, and you people keep sending them! This, of course, makes me feel like I need to respond, and I have sent out more than 25 cards so far. I'm writing now to say, enough is enough. Don't send anymore. I love you all, and I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas, but I don't want to do it $.39 at a time. I have better things to do--as do you.
Spread yule some other way.
Yeesh.
2. I'd like to phase out the hugging.
I know Christmastime is a time for spreading the aforementioned yule, which often comes with a hug. Well, now I'm sick. Actually sick from all your virus-spreading hugs. My nose and ears are plugged and my throat hurts. Merry frickin Christmas, folks. Thanks a lot.
It's not just the viruses. I really just don't like hugging. Do I have to physically affirm that I love you every time I see you? Rest assured when I feel like giving a hug, I will give one. If I'm not in the mood, though, I really will let you stand there with your arms out feeling foolish. When I want to hug you, I will. I just don't see how it's necessary to hug all the time.
Now in regard to hugging, here's something funny. You may know the Nourse family and their affinity for the hugs. Jared, Naomi's husband, knows how I feel about hugging and when it comes time to leave their house, I can see on his face that he wants to hug me but doesn't want to make me uncomfortable. This always melts my heart so lately I have been the one who initiates the goodbye hugs when we leave their house.
See how it works? You can't hug-attack. You have to wait for me to choose the hug. Let the hug come to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Erin,
Let our hugs be pure and our affection for our loved ones genuine. You are all of that girl and more-gotta luv u.
Our Father in Heaven will greet each of us back into his presence with a hug. But he may look at you and say Jump back girl. Don't let anything distract your attention Live in the moment of a hug. Sorry you are sick and still Card Crabby. MOM II

Anonymous said...

I just found your address on my desk. Your Christmas card is on the way, Ebenezer.
And no, you don't have to send me one, just hug me next time you see me.

Anonymous said...

Did you learn this hugging phobia or were you born with it? I like to think it is one of the finer characterisitics you got from me. I think waving is nice....lovemom