Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Think on these things.

I've been thinking about training my mind lately. It occurred to me that I control my own thoughts. (Big realization, I know.)
Phillippians 4:8 reads,
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think on these things."
In an effort to think on these things, I've decided to make a list.
And, lucky readers, I've decided to share my list with you. I write my list in an effort to encourage you all to do the same.
Here goes:
What do I know that is true?
God's love and God's word. That's all I know. I am not true. There is nothing good or true within me: "I am the moon with no light of my own. Still you have made me to shine. And as I glow in this cold, dark night, I know I can't be a light unless I turn my face to you."
What do I know that is noble?
My husband, my father, my spiritual gifts.
What is right?
My confidence in my spiritual gifts.
What is pure?
Feeding the child of my womb by my own breast.
What is lovely?
Freckles and reading a wonderfully crafted sentence.
What is admirable?
A woman who fears the Lord. And her friendships.
And what is excellent or praiseworthy?
Sometimes, it's hard to know, but one woman in particular comes to mind.

I understand that by openly admitting my quest to serve God and submitting my life to him automatically turns me into a fool in the eyes of many (or my few readers), BUT what else is there? Really. I've looked. How else can I escape the injustice of this fallen world that keeps me in bed but to turn everythong over to God and instead focus on the above list?

"Shine on me with your light--without you I'm a cold dark stone. Shine on me, I have no light of my own. You are the sun and I am the moon." --Sara Groves

8 comments:

Brandy Dopkins said...

Erin, that was beautiful.
"reading a wonderfully crafted sentence." really shines with your passion.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

I have been anxious for a new blog and once again your writing moves me. Thank you. Lovemom

Anonymous said...

touched. my. heart.

It is so fun to see kids you knew grow up and blossom into the fullness of God's plan for their life. Many blessings on you and your family.

I too love a well crafted sentence, but I only recognize one when I see it. I could not provide one if my life depended on it. That is one reason I love Sting and Paul Simon so much. they are witty with their words in a way I can relate to.

Love, Carole Weitner

Carla said...

Aw. Thank you, Erin.

Cara said...

Wow. What a display of your faith and humbleness. You are a worthy friend.

zcoffeegirl said...

Erin...this is a post I will be coming back to. Very though provoking, thanks.

Naomi said...

Excellent train of thought E. Thanks again for guiding not only your thoughts here, but for sharing your mind with all your readers too thus lending all of us a reminder to refocus our thoughts too. This is basic knowledge, but knowledge that is so easy to forget to practice.

BTW- my word verification is "unsin". Exactly.