Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Optimist vs Pessimist

A couple had twin boys. One of the boys was a constant pessimist, and the other an eternal optimist. The struggles of having two boys so different proved to be more than the parents could bear, so they went to a psychologist.
After talking extensively about the trouble they were having with the boys the psychologist said, "Try this. For the boys' birthday, which is coming up, give the pessimist the most wonderful gifts you can think of, and give the optimist a box of manure. Then, make them open their gifts in separate rooms and see what happens."
So, when the boys' birthday rolled around the parents did just that, though it seemed unfair to them. They listened outside the door as the pessimist opened his gifts complaining all the time, "Man! A Playstation three? I wanted a Wii! Books?! I hate books! This game is going to break right away, I know it! This birthday stinks!"
Then they crossed the hall to check on the optimist. The found him elbow deep in the box of manure, playing in it, and throwing it up in the air. When he saw his parents he said, "Mom and Dad, you can't fool me! Where there's this much crap, a pony can't be far behind!"

2 comments:

Carla said...

My grandma told me this when I was just a little one. She didn't say Playstation or Wii though. :)
Thank you Erin. I will think fondly of her today!

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm a pessimist! And my birthday is coming up really soon. Love you.

-Rich