Monday, April 23, 2007

Stock Cars

On Saturday night Rich and I went to the Cedar Lake Speedway to watch the Stock Car Races. Rich had a friend racing, so we decided to check it out.
As you can probably guess, this was my first time attending, and I wasn't sure what to expect--other than a cultural experience. And I wasn't disappointed! I was amazed at all the different kinds of people that were there, and I have to admit, the people-watching was definitely better entertainment than the car-watching.
Overall, though, it was a really fun night. What a rush to see the cars careen around the corners. The first couple of races, I thought for sure they were going to flip at every corner. They didn't (and I won't try to hide my bitter disappointment).
Rich's friend, Keith, won first place for his class' Feature Race (See? I even learned the lingo!), which is a pretty big deal, though not all that surprising, I'm told, because he's a "very talented kid," (i.e. fearless to the edge of insanity).
We had a good night, and I left with a testosterone high.







Rich and I between races.
















Cars fishtailing around the corners.











I think Keith is the second car in this race. He won 2nd place in the "Heat" (the first race), and took first in the "Feature."

2 comments:

Carla said...

Man I love stock car races! I love the sounds and the smells! Used to go to the races at the Red River Valley Fair when I grew up. Good times.
Pat and I went once and wondered why the first couple of rows were empty. We sat down and got covered with mud! That'll learn us.

kristi noser said...

We went to the Cedar Lake Speedway last year. I don't remember from my younger years that the races took that long...or were that dirty...must be a mom thing.