Friday, April 27, 2007

Row 129, Seat B

Just when I start to think I've got my problem children (i.e. Marketers that I support) under control, another one rears his ugly, demanding and demeaning head. Let me tell you a little story.
I only make flight arrangements for one person. The boss.
Until recently.
We've got a new marketer who doesn't think he should have to do his own travel arrangements. I wouldn't mind helping him except that every time he asks me to make a flight, he says, "Just get the flight information and let me know what you find," thereby doubling or tripling my workload. Making travel plans for these guys is never easy. Every trip is convoluted and half-baked and usually has to have a sales call in Timbuktu on the way to Chicago.
As it stands right now, I've been on the phone for 29 minutes and counting trying to make his current arrangements. This time, when he told me to let him know what I find out, I decided to stand up for myself. I said, "You know, that's really a lot more work. If you would just give me the paramaters in which you want to travel [yes, I really talk that way], I'll make the reservation."
He said, "Well, no. I need you to find out what my options are and get back to me."
I don't mind telling you I glared at him. "Ok," I said.
Guess what?
He's sitting in the center aisle on every single flight for the rest of the summer. I hope he gets stuck between a fat, sweaty preacher and a fat, drunk salesman.

5 comments:

erin said...

Just finally hung up. 37 minutes.

kristi noser said...

Serves him right. Put him right outside the bathroom door! GAG!!

Kim N. said...

Erin
You know what I like about you??? You are willing to be truthful with what you think. Not everyone does that.

erin said...

Thanks, Kim. : )

Anonymous said...

Obviously this man doesn't understand the spirit of Administrative Professionsals Week. I bet he didn't buy you a gift either.