Saturday, August 04, 2007

MY Being Real Moment

The Bare Bones of the Story
Pun intended.
I am very tired, so I am only going to relay the facts of the last couple of days. I will try to fill in as time and energy allows.
On Thursday evening at church softball, Richard was rounding 3rd base on his way home when his feet got tangled beneath him. He did a barrell roll and didn't get up again.
I'm told that there was a loud POP noise, which I will be forever grateful to God that I didn't hear.
When I made my way (unsteadily) to the field, Jared came around the corner toward me. I said, "What happened?" He said, "He broke his femur."
When I reached Richard's side his face was gray and he was slurring his words. We stabilized his leg with third base and two softball gloves, and the team gathered around to lay hands on him and pray.
After what seemed like an eternity (6-12 minutes) the ambulance arrived. The EMT crew secured Richard's left leg in a brace designed to straighten and stretch his leg out. They loaded us in the ambulance (me in the front seat) and took off at 90mph to Regions Hospital in St. Paul.
We made it to the ER by about 8:15 (I think).
They assessed his leg and we discussed with an Orthopedic Surgeon immediately. The femur was indeed broken. A compound fracture that appeared to have punctured the skin and "popped" back in under the skin. (I know, right?) It was determined that surgery would be necessary after his leg would be held in traction over night. They performed the procedure to put his leg in traction there in the ER in front of God and everybody--everybody but me. I sat in the waiting room with all of our amazing friends who refused, even as I weakly tried to persuade them, to leave my side. I don't know how to express my thanks for this.
When the procedure was finished, 27 pounds of free weights were pulling Richard's leg back into alignment by a rope and pulley system. It was disgusting.
We got to Richard's thankfully private room at about 2:30am (I think) and spent a very, very hard night together.
The next morning Richard went into surgery at about noon and was finished at 2:30. He emerged groggy and confused but with a brand new titanium rod in his left femur.
He spent the rest of the day and night in pretty substantial pain, but was mostly weighed down by his own frustration and anxiety.
Thankfully, I was relieved of my bedside duties for about 8 hours when Mandi (my angel) came to stay with Richard for the night. I was able to get about 6 hours of sleep before heading back to the hospital this morning.
When I arrived I found an even more frustrated and confused Richard. We spent the day together both dozing in and out of Shark Week on the Discovery Channel until his physical therapy appointment.
And that's when everything changed.
My heart caught in my chest with pride and joy as I watched Richard sit on the edge of the bed, then stand, then WALK to the bathroom where we washed his hair and got him on the road to feeling a LOT better and a LOT more optimistic. This great victory combined with some much-needed Mom / Richard time (everybody just wants their mom in the end!), made Richard a very different man by the time he sent me home tonight.
This has been an incredibly difficult couple of days, but all I can think is how grateful I am and what a glorious God I serve that He would protect my husband from something so much worse and that He would work such miracles as:
-There will be no cast on Rich's leg!
-He put 25% of his body weight on his broken leg the day after surgery!!
-The incredibly helpful and loving staff we've come in contact with in every new department.
-The amazing love and kindnesses we've been shown by friends (who cleaned our house, brought food, and made meals) and family (who have shown unfaltering patience and steadfastedness).
-The unbelievable fact that I've been able to survive on only 8 hours of sleep in the last two days!
-I could go on.
The point? God is good.
Thank you so much, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers. Richard is very touched by your thoughs, kindnesses and generosity.
I will try to keep you posted. He has two physical therapy appointments tomorrow and he wants to go home tomorrow. I'm going to shoot for getting him home on Monday, though.


Turns out, these "bones" have a lot more meat on them than I thought I had in me.

7 comments:

theswamphare said...

Wow, an open compound fracture! I'm a little jealous that I can't say any of my broken bones ever punctured the skin. Rich's age will help heal; how long is he going to be out? Next week I could come and cook a meal at your house; something like burgers...

Let me know.

Mark

P.S. Did you get to keep the x-rays?

Katie R. said...

I ditto the Wow! I'm so thankful that everything worked out the way it did and wasn't worse. I'm thankful too for your close friends and family that could support you during such a scary time. You give your hubby hugs and kisses.

ps If Mr. Felton is coming over to cook I suggest requesting something fancier than burgers. Have you read the menu for the rehearsal dinner? I'm just saying.

pps God Bless you both during the healing time.

Carla said...

Oh, honey!! I am thankful to God as well Erin. I am sorry for all you two have been through but God is good as you have just spelled out in your post. Praying for you!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I am sorry for that experience. I'll pray for good healing and full recovery.

theswamphare said...

Hey, Carla...shouldn't you be sponging up water or sumpin?

But seriously, give me a week to re-boot after the rehearsal dinner and I will do better than burgers.

Mark

Anonymous said...

I was stunned to see the post on the church's website! I mean, that's quite a feat...I broke my finger playing softball, but man! Richard aspires to great things, methinks.

Sounds like you're being shown great things through this. Know that there are many praying behind-the-scenes for you both.

You're right...God is Good!!

P.S. Hold out for crab...or lobster!

Kristin said...

Praise God your mom can be there with you. She's serving the way we all wish we could.