Monday, June 12, 2006

Holes and Stuff


For all my days, I will never forget shouting, "Hey! Who wants to get in a big hole?!?" And watching throngs--literally throngs of children come running. Quite possibly one of the most amusing and strangely gratifying moments of my adult life. We fit FIFTEEN people in that hole. Not my best photography, but I LOVE this picture--don't they look happy to be in a hole?!

It's easy for me to forget how much fun you can have in God's name. And even have a drink. It just seems so often that we have to "behave ourselves" the way our grandmothers would like, when I don't think this is necessarily what God intended. I've always had a hard time with the idea that God expects me to be a cookie-cutter Christian. Which He doesn't. I was reminded this weekend that I am fearfully and wonderfully made in God's own image--and that it's ok to be myself. To laugh, to goof around, and to let my hair down every once in a while--what's left of it (see tomorrow's blog--Harrison the Hair Stylist), because when we gather in His name to laugh, goof around, and let our hair down, it honors Him.
So, anyway, good food, good company, good conversation. What fun! The pig roast was a huge success on all counts. And we fit 15 people in the hole.
Also, "learning" to play cards from the Master himself would have made the whole pig gig worth while, even if it had snowed, nobody had showed up, and there had been no food. Ah, my second family--I love you all!

So, here's today's untitled Haiku. I'm not very confident with it at this point, so I may edit a little bit later. Let me know if youhave any suggestions.

What a giant hole!
Let's have some fun, praisin' God.
And maybe a beer!

4 comments:

Carla said...

I can see the top of my daughters head and her blue hair thingy. She is next to a girl in an orange shirt. I am one proud mama today, Erin!

kristi noser said...

Hey, who's that tall kid?

kristi noser said...

I think the haiku is perfect

Jenna said...

Digging is hard work.
What? No lava? Sheesh. Let's go.
Man! I love this hole.