Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Peeved

Everybody has pet peeves. Little things people do that REALLY get under your skin.
I have a friend--actually two friends--who get irritated when someone, anyone (not necessarily her husband--we're not naming names here) makes a sandwich on the counter and doesn't wipe up the crumbs! I can identify.
Most of my (ranked and numbered) pet peeves have to do with food, but there are some that don't, like #4, for instance, when people drag their feet when they walk. Makes me crazy. Or, its VERY close second, #5, the dreaded DOUBLE NEGATIVE! And of course, we can't forget #3, excessively long voicemail messages. Can I get an amen?
These are allllll far, far behind my Number One Pet Peeve.
I feel, however, that I should premise my Number One with my Number Two. (Har, har. "She said Number One and Number Two!")
Number Two is when people steal food off of my plate without asking.
This scenario is in spot Number Two on the list because there are only a few situations in which this really makes me...peeved. First of all, if I don't KNOW you, I mean, really know you, and you steal food off my plate, I'm gonna be mad. The other situation would simply be that I'm hungry and don't want to share. Pretty simple, people.
So, let me set up an *hypothetical* scene for you. You're very hungry. You've been planning all day to go home and have a brat off the grill with onions, mustard, and sauerkraut. MMMMM... You decide to invite some friends to join you. You boil the brats, dice the onion, warm up the sauerkraut (Maybe--maybe you're just gonna eat it cold, out of the can with a fork. I'm not here to judge, people. That's the point.), and maybe even toast a few buns. You load up your plate, and your friend's *hypothetical* new girlfriend says, "Ew. I can't believe you're going to eat that. It looks terrible."
That, my friends, is the Big Number One. I can't STAND it when people criticize what I'm eating. Even now, just thinking about the *hypothetical* situation I just made up, I want to scratch someone's eyes out...or slash their tires...or something else terrible that I would never actually be brave enough to do.
The thing is (Hark! My title!), I would never do that to someone else. If someone offered me a cucumber, for instance, I would politely refuse. Here's how the conversation would go:
"Erin, do you want this cucumber?"
"Oh, no thank you."
"Really? Why not?"
"I just don't care for them. Thanks for offering, though."
"Seriously?? Who doesn't like cucumbers?"
"I'm sorry. I've just never been able to eat them."
They would look at me like I'm from another planet, and the whole thing is over. I didn't hurt anyone's feelings, or make them feel stupid for liking cucumbers. Why is this so hard for some people to do?
So, today's haiku, "Me and Sauerkraut," is dedicated to all the people out there who turn up their noses at things other people like. Namely, any food that someone else likes that they don't.

Me and Sauerkraut

leave me all alone
to eat my cold sauerkraut
we love each other.

Ok, not necessarily my best work, but I find today's haiku particularly poignant.

So what are your Pet Peeves? I want to know.

p.s. For those of you who will feel the need to correct my grammar in the title of today's haiku, you should know that Grammar Correctors are #7 on my list of Pet Peeves.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

So. I read your B-log today. Huh, well.. at least I dont leave long voicemails.

kristi noser said...

There's just so much to say. I'm thinking good thing I didn't steal a chip from you when we had lunch...cuz I was thinking about it. Saved an appendage there, huh?

kristi noser said...

Oh, and sauerkraut makes me yack--but you go ahead and eat all you want. Should I buy some for you for Saturday? OK I will.

Anonymous said...

Remember how I told you about the time that the lady at work who (I'm wondering if that should be whom, but I guess I don't have to worry due to #7 on your list) anyway...who/whom I'd never met before was completely rude to me for no valid reason at all and how much that upsets me to this day? Well I think that story illustrates my number #1, when people are unnecessarily mean. There's just no call for it. Even if you are having a bad day, don't take it out on me. Some people may think this indicates that I am too sensitive, but I think it just illustrates good plain common sense.

Unnecessarily mean
Makes you feel big, huh?
Well, not nice

Anonymous said...

1. Roommates who leave nasty dishes in the sink when the dishwasher is empty, or when the dishes in the dishwasher are dirty

AND

2. Roommates who leave the lights on. Why should I have to pay for electricity that nobody is using? Why does every light in the apartment have to be on (including the bathroom!) when only one room is in use? Grrrr.

AND

3. People who drive two blocks to the store, or half a mile to the post office, or three feet to the bank, thereby wasting the [expensive] gas in the car they share with their roommate

(Yes, I'm annoyed with my roommate...she's great, but her habits are not so great.)

Anonymous said...

These are some, but not necessarily in order:
1. People who use all but the teensiest bit of something and put it back in the fridge.

2. People who use ALL of the whatever and put the EMPTY container back in the fridge.

3. Empty toilet paper tubes spinning on the holder (kinda goes back to #2).

4. People that dis-respect others' property, i.e. driving through my lawn, knocking down my mailbox for the umpteenth time...

5. Spending what seems like too much money on new tennies only to find that they've acquired a squeak and you sound like you've got a major gas problem...

There...got that off my chest. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you have found this outlet for your creative mind. Takes a lot of pressure off the rest of us. You don't call as much now that you blog.

Anonymous said...

By the way, Erin, I love saurkraut right out of the jar/can too! Meetcha at the pigroast...bring a fork!

And now that you don't call "anonymous" as much anymore, you can call me! No pressure here!

erin said...

I'm pretty sure anonymous=mom.

Anonymous said...

How about dirty clothes on the floor like 1 foot from the laundry basket.

Anonymous said...

Balled-up socks filled with sand.

Carla said...

Tardiness

Anonymous said...

A few of my pet peeves, not in any particular order.

Drive slow in the left lane

Drive slow in the right lane

Drive SLOW

Put wet items in the dirty clothes basket

Don't turn their clothes right side out before putting them in the dirty clothes basket

Slow drivers

Peoople who make noises when they eat

leaving lights on

SLOW DRIVERS IN THE LEFT LANE!!!!!

erin said...

Who are you?? I wish I knew, so I could comiserate!