Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Pictures of Peacocks

So, from the end of our driveway, around the lake and back is almost exactly 3 miles. When I feel up to it (i.e. when I'm not falling-down exhausted at the end of the day), Pedro and I like to walk. We are very popular at the park that surrounds the lake. Mostly because Pedro is so cute--he's seriously a babe magnet. Or...an old lady magnet. They just love him.
Last night, Pedro and I walked around the lake. It was pretty uneventful--Pedro ate some sticks, tried to hump a little Toto dog (Cairn Terrier?), and completely missed two juicy bunnies right in his path. Go figure.
One time, however, we had a very eventful walk. It was the beginning of spring--we had only been in the new house for a month or so, so it would have been about the end of March. We deviated from our usual route, just to see what was at the end of a particular street. Being new to the neighborhood, I didn't know what to expect.
I sure didn't think I'd find a peacock. I kid you not. There, at the end of someone's driveway, was a real-live peacock, just hanging out. It was awesome. It was like a little piece of the orient right here in my neighborhood! I tried to take a picture on my phone, but it didn't turn out. It's sort of like I saw the Loch Ness Moster or something. I've never seen it there since, though I did see a very, very large cat in the front yard, with strange ears--like a lynx. Every once in a while, I still walk out of my way to check out the peacock house to see if there's anything there. There never is.
For good measure, here's the picture I took. It's a female peacock, so don't look for the tail, but she's there...if you look hard enough. She's in the ray of light going across the garage door, near the back door of the house. See it? I tried to circle it in red, but it doesn't seem to help much.


You gotta believe me!



Peacock in suburbs
Your harem is missing you
You don't belong here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, no peacock - although I did see Bigfoot in that picture...

Anonymous said...

This winter you will have to keep your eyes open for the Roseville Yeti. lovemom

NoOtherName said...

Wait, let me get this right... you have a dog named Pedro? Oh, that is just too awesome!!

Yeah. And sure I see the peacock, Erin--and did you notice that it's wearing an "I Love NY" t-shirt and doing the Macarena?