Thursday, July 27, 2006

Rough Morning?

Imagine, if you will, my frustration as I watched the slow-motion waterfall of mixed-berry yogurt smoothie, tumble (literally tumble--think, Niagara Falls) down my chest, onto my stomach, and pool in my lap.
Frustration because I made it to work on time today, I had a new outfit on, and I had to "take my lunch" at 8 this morning to go home and change clothes, which, took almost an hour and a half, thanks to traffic BOTH WAYS on the way home.
I returned to my chair to find MJ* waiting for me. He asked me yesterday (with a big smile) if I would set up some speed dial numbers for him. Yeah, try 65 speed dial numbers...or more. I lost count. Not exactly my job, folks. Anyhow, he was waiting for me this morning, to tell me that the speed dial numbers didn't work, and that he wanted me to fix them. Keep in mind, I spent the best part of yesterday setting up these 65 speed dial numbers.
I politely replied, "Actually, I have the instructions right here so you can do it now. It's really easy."
"Well...I'm going out of town."
Awkward, irritating--no--infuriating pause.
"OH, well. I guess I'll just do it, then."
"Thanks, Erin. You're the best." Big smile.
Yeh. Sure.
As I was on my way home and back again before all of this happened (but after the yogurt incident), I was thinking. When did I become the kind of woman who drinks yogurt smoothies? When did I become the kind of woman who selects earrings to go with her outfit, which she neatly ironed the night before? When did I become the kind of woman who watches her weight, maintains random gray hairs, and goes to bed at 10:30?
I think it was around the same time that I developed enough self-respect to bristle at being spoken to like the little woman of the office.
I am thankful for the job that God so clearly provided for me and my family, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy being talked down to.
And it doesn't mean that being a grown up sucks any less.

You know what kills me most about the yogurt smoothie?
I went BACK into the house for it.

*Names have been changed to protect the privacy of the characters (in my life).

I don't have a haiku for you today. I'm too cranky.

2 comments:

Sig. said...

I always wanted to set up a booth called "Haiku For You!" during the English Festival. That would have been fun, I think.

kristi noser said...

The longer you work for/with people like this the easier it will be to say no. Start today!