Monday, July 31, 2006

On the Fritz

I went outside tonight long after I should have to collect the laundry from the line. I stood between the lines, trying not to think about how creepy it is to be out taking laundry down after dark. That's when I realized how un-dark it was. It made me wonder if it was a full moon. (Anyone?) Which is also when I realized that it's nights like this that the werewolves are out.
Thank you Harry Potter.
Imagine my surprise, then, when Satan himself approached me in the moonlight between the first and second lines of my clothesline.
"Erin," he said, sounding not unlike Jack Sparrow, and looking predictably almost as handsome as Johnny Depp. "I'll fix yer air condish'ner if yeh sell me yer soul. The heat be near...argh." He leaned in and I could smell his sweet, cool breath. His icy blue eyes flashed in the night under his pale skin and hair.
I admit, brethren, I considered it. I thought about going back inside--strangely lighter--and crawling in-between cool, crisp sheets next to a dry husband. I thought about getting a full night's sleep, and not waking up in a puddle. I thought about all the rooms in our home being one uniform temperature...
"Forever?" I asked.
"Well, no. That'll cost yeh 1000 galleons," he said, taking a leather stachel off his back.
"GET THEE BEHIND ME, SATAN!" I cried. "I wouldn't spend an eternity in hell for one night of comfort or anything else!"
Satan smiled a crooked smile and put his satchel back over his shoulder, "Oh, darlin'. Yer already there."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always cool in wausau. Come on over. lovemom

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting, Erin. I always thought that Satan would have really stinky breath - kind of like rotten meat, or something. Maybe he had a Tic Tac before popping in on ya.