Monday, August 07, 2006

The Chop

Pedro has to be at Dr. Blair's office tomorrow morning by 8:30a for "The Chop."
In short, I feel terrible. I can't even talk about it without crying. I am SO going to be one of those moms...The kind who cries over everything (not a whole lot different than now--let's be honest), and keeps weird shit...like locks of hair and teeth.
I kept Pedro's first collar. I admit it. I'm that mom.
The trouble that I'm having is that he trusts me. He thinks I would never hurt him. (As we discussed in an earlier blog, he knows I didn't mean to hurt him when I kicked him off the deck...Something about reasoning skills. I don't know--the whole thing is fuzzy for me now.) But the truth is, he won't know where he's going, he won't know why he has to stay over night--he'll be scared and confused, and I hate the idea of purposely putting him in that situation.
And then, when he finally gets to come home, he'll weigh less (a LOT less, if you asked me--wink, wink), and have to suffer the humiliation of wearing a plastic cone on his head. By the time the cone will come off, he'll have forgotten his testicles completely. RIGHT???
Hopefully, along with the memory of the testicles, he'll forget that I was the one who did this to him.
Perhaps this is a good lesson for me, before I become a mom. That you have to let your kids suffer a little in order to grow up.
I just don't think I'll be able to keep dog balls as a souvenir.
Call me crazy.

Pedro, your testes
are about to disappear
that's just how it is.

10 comments:

kristi noser said...

This reminds me of a comic: two dogs talking, and one says,"Hey tomorrow I'm going to the vet to get TUTORED!"
Has to be done, E, Eddie gets the big snipper this month, too. Maybe they can be cone friends.

Anonymous said...

Erin, if you read Carla's most recent blog, perhaps you could just tell him he's been one of the puppies "chosen" to go to "Testicle Removal Camp". He'll be so thrilled to go!

Anonymous said...

Erin, if you read Carla's most recent blog, perhaps you could just tell him he's been one of the puppies "chosen" to go to "Testicle Removal Camp". He'll be so thrilled to go!

Anonymous said...

oops...sorry.

Carla said...

Erin, I am sorry. You are wise to appreciate the Mom in you and realize that the HARD stuff must be done too.(and the fun, yucky, easy stuff) Out of love. Your haiku is hilarious!

NoOtherName said...

I can honestly say I have never read a haiku about canine testicles. Thanks for the first!

Sig. said...

When we declawed our cat he was so mad for so long...but then he got over it, as if it never happened.

kristi noser said...

Is this what your mom meant in the previous blog that she got you hooked on nuggets? Maybe you SHOULD keep them.

erin said...

Haha--EEEwwwww!

Anonymous said...

Seriously Kristi! Ewww!!!

Erin, everything will be okay. He's a guy, he'll always believe he has balls. Really, they all do.

Love, Aunt Kris