Friday, September 15, 2006

Moving

Earlier today I was transporting several boxes by way of a hand dolly...or whatever those things are called. One of my co-workers asked if I'd give him a ride. Har, har.
The joke isn't a very funny one but it reminded me quite pleasantly of the day we moved Grandma Shirley out to the farm to live with Gram.
I was young--like 12 or 13, and my mom had somehow convinced what I thought were the two CUTEST boys in the entire church to help us move her.
She asked Adam Hart and Josh Schettle.
My young, pre-pubescent heart was likely to explode. I had such a crush on both of them that I didn't know which one to blush over more. They were both so tall and old and mysterious and handsome; unlike FCC's other very crushworthy boys like Ben Holsteen and Derrick Hagen, both equally cute, but lacking the mysterious quality Josh and Adam seemed to possess.
Looking back on the day, they were probably paid $50 each to work like horses, and I specifically remember stopping at Hardee's for lunch, so it wasn't like the "perks" of the job were even very good. But they were happy workers and spent the entire day with us helping to move, which, I think is quite admirable for a guy of maybe 15 (??).
The day wasn't completely mischief-free, though. At one point, I looked out into the hall of the apartment complex we were moving her out of, and found Josh and Adam giving each other rides on the hand dolly as FAST as they could go up and down the hall without making a sound.
(It was a complex full of elderly people and the three of us had been severely warned NOT to make any noise).
Before I knew it, I was on the dolly myself, holding on for dear life as Josh panted in my ear as we raced down the hall. I'll never forget Adam whisper-yelling behind us, "If you hurt her, I'll kill you!" Such protective ownership! I swear to you, it's a miracle I didn't die of a massiave coronary then and there.
Josh, of course (this will come as no surprise to any of you who know him), never said a word to me the entire time--the entire day, in fact.
What a fun, random memory!

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Such a wild child you were! I will attest to the lack of available cute boys at Faith during my early days there...