Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Colder than...

Until I got "the look" from Richard on Sunday night, I never realized that the phrase, "Colder than a well-digger's butt," just doesn't make any sense. I've always thought it was a funny thing to say but never really thought it through. The truth is, it doesn't make any sense. Why would a well-digger's butt be cold? Only if he was digging a well in the winter. Why would any one try to dig a well in winter? The ground is frozen. Follow my logic? The phrase is now completely debunked, and to be honest, I'm a little sad about it.
We were shivering as we got into bed last night and as we settled into the covers (you know that REALLY cold feeling when you first get in bed because the sheets aren't warmed up yet?), and Richard said through chattering teeth, "It's colder than a coal miner's butt!"
Close enough, babe.

Today's haiku can also serve as a limerick (I'm really proud of this one):
A well-digger's butt
is never as cold as a
coal miner's bottom.

2 comments:

Brandy Dopkins said...

that post was wonderful! thanks

Anonymous said...

My mom always said "A welldigger's knee", maybe cuz she had so many little ears around the place?