Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Two-fer.

Today's a two-fer.
Blog #1

I now know what it feels like to be the fattest person in the room.

For those of you rolling your eyes right now, know this, I'm not kidding.
I know that I am not fat. I know that. But, recently, I've been putting on a little weight, and in an effort to stop (the insanity) this, I joined the 3M fitness club yesterday. It's only $18 a month for unlimited classes and machines. A great deal! I fear, though, that I may have signed up to waste $18 a month.
I decided to jump into my new membership feet first and take BEGINNER Yoga. I love doing pilates, and Yoga isn't a far stretch (no pun intended). Except that it IS a far stretch. I almost cried. Right there in the middle of a class full of glistening, sweaty, hard , size 2 bodies. I was very clearly the only beginner, and very clearly not there "Because I love it." I was bumpier and jigglier than everyone in the class, including the three MEN in attendance. Plus, I fell down not once, not twice, but three times.
I. Fell. Down. THREE TIMES!
The instructor started out trying to help me with my posture and stances, but eventually gave up entirely. She approached me after class and said, "How did you like your first yoga??" I said, "It was painful." "Well don't give up," she said. "Keep coming! Promise me you'll come back?!"
Right.
Spinning is tonight at 5. I'll let you know how it goes.

Karli, encouragement needed.

Here's blog #2.

Dear Abby,
I'm looking for practical advice as to how to handle a difficult co-worker. I'm basically a slave in my job and I don't get to ask the people I support to make my job any easier by, for instance, sending me an email instead of shouting orders to me on the fly as he's on the way to the bathroom. When this guy gives me instructions over his shoulder in this way, I am very likely to forget because I am not usually in a spot where I can write it down immediately like I usually do. When this happens, he talks to me like I'm the dumbest person he's ever met. How do I do a better job so that I don't have to deal with him talking down and being mean to me? How do I make him stop being so mean to me?
Sincerely yours,
Overwrought Employee

6 comments:

Carla said...

Hey Sweets!! I would have fallen 4 times and then walked out in tears. I don't know much about yoga. Is it to stretch our muscles or burn fat? If you can take a weight training or resistance class with your spinning then you could burn fat and gain muscle(which burns fat!)You know I am biased. I love weight training. :)
I am very proud of you for going and seeing it through and yes, give it one more chance! Spinning should be cool! Let me know. Keep it up, Erin!

kristi noser said...

Erin, when I took the yoga/pilates class the YMCA offered, I WAS the fattest in the room--trust me on this one. I also ended up crying, but it was because of all the EMOTIONAL CRAP that was released from my muscles as I stretched them. I really loved this class, although I could not do all of the exercises, sitting cross-legged has never been something I could do with my knock-kneed bod.
So keep plugging, baby. As for the creepy in the office, you must assert yourself with him. Make it clear that you expect to be treated with respect in the office.
Oh, and the spinning thing, you're on your own. Never felt the need to abuse myself like that.

erin said...

Thanks girls for the much needed encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I thought yoga was a form of mind control. Did they tell you to chant, hum or whirl like a dervish? Watch out...is it all part of the secular humanist philosophy.

Anonymous said...

I can echo Kristi's thougths on Yoga. I was THE fattest person in my class, too (I was in my basement...no way am I going to do that for the first time in front of a bunch of strangers!). I watched the video first, decided it didn't look too bad and tried it the next day. Man. That takes some serious strength and balance. But I experienced the same emotional release. Lots of issues in those tissues. Yours might just be caused by the grunt at the office. Ever consider billing him for your Yoga class? Better yet, invite him to the class and watch him fall over...nah.

The only experience I've had with Spinning is watching Helen Hunt in "Empire Falls". If you can do that, honey, you're golden. :)

Gotta find what's right for your bod. And your head. Some of us are still searching...

Oh, and a little prayer before you head in never hurt, either! :)

Anonymous said...

When I read of the horrors taking place in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other places of war, I’m not surprised that Omar Bradley, a U.S. five star general, known as the “GI’s general” and field commander of 1.3 million men in World War II has said, and I quote: “As far as I am concerned, war itself is immoral.” It is my hope and prayer that more and more people, both military and civilian, the world over, and no matter from what culture or creed, will have the courage to say what Bradley said and then seek to live in peace with one another instead of building, and USING, evermore ferocious weapons of war. We get sick and die all too soon as it is; we need to help, not hurt each other.

Stan Penner

P.S. Bradley’s quote is from Maclean’s, April 20, 1981.

////////////////////////

If it's natural to kill, how come men have to go into training to learn how?
Joan Baez

An unjust peace is better than a just war.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die.
Salvador Dali

There will one day spring from the brain of science a machine or force so fearful in its potentialities, so absolutely terrifying, that even man, the fighter, who will dare torture and death in order to inflict torture and death, will be appalled, and so abandon war forever.
Thomas A. Edison

////////////////////////

If men can't, or won't, stop wars maybe the women will. SP

////////////////////

Your blog came up on Google-I say that poor turkey beside the road. Maybe we should all be vegetarians (The first parents ate no meat according to Genesis). God's best always. SP