Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween...

Interesting fact--the tradition of carving pumpkins comes from Ireland (which is not all that surprising due to the Celt's love of anything dark and twisty--aka, Pagan). A very clever farmer named Jack tricked the devil into climbing a very tall tree. While the devil was in the tree, Jack carved a cross in the trunk of the tree so the devil could not come down. Years later, when Jack died (not sure what happened to the devil--is he still in the tree?), he couldn't get into heaven because of his sin, and couldn't get into hell because of his trickery. He was doomed to roam the earth alone, so, he carved out a turnip and put a light inside to use as a lantern. Because of this, he became known as "Jack of the Lantern," and we carry on his tradition today, but with pumpkins instead of turnips because--who wants to carve a turnip?
Naomi and I carved pumpkins last night, and I think I may be reaching an unattractive point in my love for my pets. I carved a Kitty and a Pedro. They turned out pretty funny. We had so many seeds from three pumpkins that we roasted three different flavors. We made Spiced Seeds, which are coated in butter, garlic salt, and worsteschire (?) sauce. We made Cayenne Pepper Seeds, which are toasted in salt and cayenne pepper (yummy!), and finished with a new and dangerous flavor--Cinnamon and Salt. I was nervous about this flavor but it's DELICIOUS. All you do is sprinkle salt and cinnamon on your seeds, roast at 350 for 5 minutes, stir, and roast for 20 more minutes. To. Die. For.
Cinnamon and salt,
a dangerous combo, friends.
Three words--To. Die. For!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.

Naomi said...

I am definately a fan of the cinnamon as well, but an even bigger fan of the Spiced. Jar and I juat pulled our own batch (of Spiced) out of the oven! Tomorrow we are going to try cinnamon and sugar. We had a very disapointing turnout of trick-or-treaters...a whopping 4. I'd say we have over 100 pieces of candy here, since I went to buy another bag today cuz I was sure the turnout would be so big. Guess I was wrong...

kristi noser said...

They sound yummy! I guess I never would have mixed up cinnamon and salt either. Oh, and should I? Ok I will:
Worchestershire. Now you know.