Friday, November 17, 2006

Happy Friggin Birthday.

At midnight last night, I thought, "I'm TWENTY-FIVE."
I know you're all going to roll your eyes, but I'm really having trouble with this one. When you hit 25, you're not a kid anymore. I'm a woman now.
I've accomplished a lot in my 25 years.
I graduated from high school and college, got married, traveled through Western Europe, overdrawn my checking account by $400, been "laid off," and acquired a relatively grown-up job. I've even had some of my stories published.
That's the problem? What's AFTER 25? Child bearing? A long and happy marriage?
I look forward to both of those things, but all I can see in those two things today, in my frame of mind is saggy boobs and exhaustion.
I'm in a new box now. For a long time I was in the 18-24 box. Now I'm in the 25-30 box. Next is 31-35. This doesn't sit well with me.

I'm twenty-five now,
I can't believe I'm so old
Is that an age spot??

7 comments:

Naomi said...

Need a paper bag? Just breath. You are still young, and your boobs are still sitting pretty and perky. The exhaustion...well, just think of it this way: you have been exhausted since college. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a truly wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Glad I'm not alone in this strange age-anxiety thing. You can ask my boyfriend about my own tumultuous reaction right before my last birthday - about my present age, not to mention my upcoming milestone (which truly isn't really a milestone in the known sense, but to me it is). Uggh, people may laugh but I hardly care. Exhaust each minute for all its grand worth, I guess. Happy Birthday, Erin. Remember when I was much younger and you took care of me as I puked out GI-influenced birthday merriment? At least with age, maybe we are getting wiser just a bit.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! If I would have known I could have kidnapped ya to Applebees! You are fabulous at any age, Erin. Keep the faith.

Anonymous said...

Didn't you know that's what Vickie's secret really is? To help out those 25 and overs! Erin, you are one of my special "watched 'em grow up girls" and I think you are wondeful. Happy birthday to you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I left that typo just for you...

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Erin! And please don't make yourself suffer about your age - enjoy it! As corny as it sounds, it is just a number, after all.

(Something to make you feel better - on my 25th, my dad called me with birthday wishes, then asked, "How does it feel to be a QUARTER OF A CENTURY OLD?!" Ugh.)

Anonymous said...

Hey, think of it this way - you're still young enough to REMEMBER what you did before you were 25!! :)

And I'm so not complementing your chest...we're just NOT that close!

Hope you had a great day, Sweets!