Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Dear Abby

I guess no one saw this:

Dear Abby,
I'm looking for practical advice as to how to handle a difficult co-worker. I'm basically a slave in my job and I don't get to ask the people I support to make my job any easier by, for instance, sending me an email instead of shouting orders to me on the fly as he's on the way to the bathroom. When this guy gives me instructions over his shoulder in this way, I am very likely to forget because I am not usually in a spot where I can write it down immediately like I usually do. When this happens, he talks to me like I'm the dumbest person he's ever met. How do I do a better job so that I don't have to deal with him talking down and being mean to me? How do I make him stop being so mean to me?
Sincerely yours,
Overwrought Employee


I'll tell about spinning when I get some help!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Overwrought Employee,

I choose to remain anonymous for this reply, but it shouldn't take much cognition to unvail who I really am. My advice to you is to portray confidence. It's all about how you carry yourself. When someone tries to give me orders (which I cannot say happens in my profession, so I may be seen as talking out of my arse), I show respect, but display independence. When someone tries to act as though you are "dumb," outsmart them with your sophisticated language and attitude. Even if you feel as though you can't compete with his prestige or intelligence on the job scene, at least pretend that you surpass him in confidence. His orders will NEVER get to you because you know who you are. A woman who displays confidence, intelligence, and independence while on the time clock deserves respect, and will surely achieve this due respect with the right attitude.

Sincerely yours,
Miss Confident Independence

Anonymous said...

Remember when we lived in Alabama and that guy's wife killed him by putting a bomb under the seat of his riding lawn mower? This method has merit under the right circumstances. Think about it.