Tuesday, February 13, 2007

DMBPLTS

Remember the infamous Pet Peeves post? I have another one to add to it.
Personalized license plates. I hate them. I think they're stupid and a waste of money.
Here is a list of personalized license plates I've seen on my way to work over the past year.
1. WHOAA
2. GOPACK
3. GOVIKS
4. PNTOVUE
5. ILUV[you fill in the 3-letter blank. Ugh]
6. PUPYLUV
7. BEKSKAR
8. REALMOM
9. QUEENB
10. WRKRBEE
11. JOESMOM
12. HOKEMOM
13. SOCRMOM
14. TUFFLUV (a personal favorite)
15. WATEVAH
16. FU (My all time favorite. We saw it in Hawaii. I'd like to think the driver's name was Fu, and not that he was making a statement.)

I don't feel that it's necessary for me to make fun of each of these--I'm pretty sure you can see where I would go with these if I cared to take the time. I'm sorry if I offend any of you who have personalized license plates...I just think there are better things on which to spend your money.
Here's an idea: If you HAVE to say something stupid about your life, do it on your body, not your car. I propose that anyone who gets a personalized license plate should also have to get that phrase tattooed on their foreheads. Imagine it. People all over the country tattooed with ridiculous half-written statements all over their bodies. Every time they met someone new, they'd have to watch as the person across from them sounded-out whatever lame statement was on their forehead.

I think I'm on to something here.

License Plate Haiku

Don't waste your money
on lame phrases for your car.
I don't want to know.

p.s. Like the title for today's blog?

7 comments:

kristi noser said...

I on the other hand admire people who have the ingenuity to come up with a plate that takes me a while to figure out. Sometimes you have to realy think to get some of those plates. And I appreciate people who have a clever sense of humor like the guy who owned a Dodge Viper and his plate read: HISSSS. That's good! Or the guy that had a Mustang with VROOOM on the back! Love it!
I join with your disdain of the plates that have people's initials on them and stuff like that, BORING. But c'mon! You gotta love the clever ones.

Anonymous said...

One of the first custom plates I ever saw, and this was years ago, said, "THXDAD." It was on a really nice sports car. Now that's a plate with sentiment.

Thought I would get a custom plate as a gift for my sweetie one year, couldn't think of a darned thing to put on it. So I didn't.

Aunt Kris

idnak said...

We have a maroon Lumina van - you know, the one that looks like a DustBuster vacuum? So, I gave some serious thought to getting "DRTDVL" for it...I thought it was clever.

Anonymous said...

MOMGYVER - too many letters
HUSKER - in the north people think that is Huusker
KATHALEEND - way too many letters
GYPSY - as in no permanent home, but can be seen as an ethnic slight
NOMAD

It just never seemed cost effective when we move all the time! And I really haven't thought of one I really like. lovemom

kristi noser said...

Ok, I was wrong. The plate on the mustang said GIDYAP, not VROOOM. That's even better.

Anonymous said...

WHYIWRK-this is the only one that comes to mind. It was on super nice Lexus.

Anonymous said...

Personalized licence plates mean freedom of expression, people in some countries can still enjoy.