Monday, March 19, 2007

The North Shore

Things I thought about the North Shore before visiting and whether or not said thoughts turned out to be true:
1. The lake would be beautiful.
2. It would be very cold and windy.
3. Surely, somewhere we would be able to find traditional Irish fare for dinner on St. Patrick's Day, and possibly even a green beer.
4. Friday night fish fry would be awesome and I would immediately begin to love all fish.
5. Our lodge would be cozy and comfortable.
6. I would have the chance to relax and not talk to anyone.
7. The Split Rock Light House would be wonderful.
8. I would begin to appreciate the Scandanavian / Swedish / Norwegian "subtle sense of humor."

1. True, though very creepy. All I could think about were all the sailors who died on that lake and their restless souls rising from the depths to take me in to the cold waters with them. Eeeeeeewwww. Richard, surprisingly, didn't share my fear, though he did admit that it is completely rational.
2. Happily, false. Two days of the three we were there were 50 degrees or so.
3. Oh, so false. Take my word for it--anywhere that there is pickled herring on the breakfast buffet is a place far, far away from my people.
4. Mostly true. I freaked out a little bit about the bones in my walleye. Small steps, I guess.
5. True. We had a fireplace in our room and a DVD player on which we watched the 10th season of Friends and the 2nd season of the Office.
6. Very true--I finished one book (A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby--not too highly recommended, sadly because he is in my top 3 favorite authors) and made a good dent in another (The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards--very good so far, 100 pages in). And my cell phone had minimal service and then died completely on Friday. Too bad, so sad.
7. It was pretty cool, but I've determined that it is a big deal and a hot place to visit only because there is NOTHING ELSE UP THERE.
8. False.


Some photos, if you're interested:





Lake Superior info--I wish I knew how deep it is!













The lighthouse. Cool view, eh?












The lake, straight down from the light house.














Rich and I in front of the lighthouse.














These were all around the light house-- we thought they were pretty funny.








The veiw from our room.
This one's for Jared.
The lake on Sunday morning, early. I swear you can see a ghost ship rising from the depths.

7 comments:

erin said...

captions! ugh.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting. I've missed you. : )

Aunt Kris

erin said...

Captions! Yay!

Carla said...

Awesome pictures and captions Erin! I am glad you "got away from it all."

Naomi said...

That water DOES LOOK CREEPY!!! Cool picture though! You could win a contest for that one! You can't tell where the water ends and the sky begins. Good work!

Jenna said...

Hey, remember my friend from high school who turned out to be kind of slutty, and kept trying to put all that heavy, black eye makeup on me for my 21st birthday night out, even though I have deep set eyes, so instead of looking smokey and sexily mysterious, I just looked like I'd been recently socked in the face? And then you took me aside, because you are a GOOD BEST FRIEND and told me to wipe that off, for God's sake, because nobody wants me looking like a whore? Oh, and happy birthday! Anyway... she used to live up there and all she ever used to do was tell ghost stories of all the pirates and ship wrecks. I guess what I'm saying is: I'm with you on the creepy water.

Brandy Dopkins said...

Welcome home! Paul and I love the norwegian rivera. I'm glad you got to experience it.
The last time we went we saw a sign for a UFO convention and went on a whim. Talk about creepy. The true believers were scary. We heard sentences like "the 3rd time I was abducted I was also dropping acid so I was super vulerable to the alien's mind control"

We have some Lake Superior shipwreck books if you ever want to take them back up with you. They're fascinating.