Wednesday, June 06, 2007

God as Father

What the hell does that mean?
I've been confronted with this question a multitude of times over the past month in several completely unrelated situations. The truth is, I don't think I've ever seen God as my father. Provider and miracle-worker, sure. Protector? Sure. But what does it mean to have a perfect Father?
Here's what I know:
1. We tend to think of God as similar to the earthly father we have, and assign the same qualities to God that our earthly fathers possess. (That doesn't mean we all do, but I believe it is a natural tendency.)
2. God sees me as his darling child. (This is what I've been taught. I can't say I've ever been convicted of it--yet. Or if I have, it's been a long time.)
3. God had a plan for me and my life.
4. Whether I want to or not, I systematically (like the tides and the moon) ebb away from my closeness with Him, and then am drawn back, completely unknowingly and completely without my making a single educated decision. It's so easy to look back and see God calling to me, beckoning me to follow him...through high school, to college, Scotland, and in to my marriage. Why would I doubt? I'm nothing but a blind, dumb idiot stumbling through darkness following the vibration of sound on the ground.
5. I should seek him with the faith of a child.
But why? And how?
I'm not questioning my Christianity, but this past year or so has really been a struggle for me to see myself as God sees me. Actually, it's been almost two years now that I think about it. Two years in August, in fact, and I'm sorry to say that I don't feel any closer to seeing myself in God's light than I did two years ago. This struggle combined with some unsavory personality characteristics I tend to harbor in my sinful heart and a couple of other obstacles have sent me reeling lately.
Ephesians 1:4-5 says, "...just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will..."
I understand that I've been adopted into the family by accepting Jesus Christ as my savior, but what then? I know I am a child of God, but how do I see it for myself?
I'm learning that we are all called [predestined, thanks, Paul] to be God's children and the only free will we really have is to choose not to obey his call.
So, how do I start to really see myself as His child? I know I belong to Him, but how do I start to see Him as my Father?
I'm not really looking for an answer, just thinking about some things.

3 comments:

Brandy Dopkins said...

Good. Very good. drink deeply sister.

Anonymous said...

God will bless you for even thinking about these things. And yes, satan will cause you to doubt. I praise God for you every day and thank him for your continued desire to follow him.
lovemom

hannahjane said...

i have been coming back lately after a pretty extensive vacation from seeking God. it's frustrating and i just want myself to not be stupid, but that's so easy to say to yourself isn't it?