Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day

When I was in middle school, my mom went to work at Wal-Mart to make ends meet (and in retrospect, probably for a much-needed break from the house). Because money was tight at the time, and because of her discount, most of my school clothes came from Wal-Mart for a while. I, of course, in my pre-pubescent selfishness, could think of nothing more horrifying than wearing Wal-Mart clothes to school. Especially once the other kids found out where my mom worked. The teased me, and I sulked and complained at home.
I can't imagine how much that must have hurt her feelings at the time. I doubt she looked forward to being on her feet for hours on end checking cranky people out at Wal-Mart.
(One plus-side to having mom work was coming home to find Kristi's car parked outside occasionally.)
I think I've come a long way since I was 12 or 13 (or 17 when she was there with encouragement every single day when we started high school in Alabama, or 20 when she worked 3rd shift at Mesaba so I could enjoy flight benefits to go back to Nashville every other week to visit my loser boyfriend) at being thankful and grateful for everything mom's do. I probably won't understand the sacrifices mother's make for their babies until I have one of my own, but I just want to say that I am so thankful, Mom, for everything. A safe home, a listening ear, and an unending, tireless commitment to the three of us.
I love you.

4 comments:

erin said...

Boy oh boy, let me tell you, nothing makes a man more uncomfortable than finding me weeping at my computer at 2:30 in the afternoon...

Anonymous said...

Well, you made me cry too, so good job. Thank you for all your kind words. Being a mom, your mom, has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life. God has blessed me with a wonderful family and I thank him every day. Mom's say that you forget the pain of childbirth as soon as you bond with your child. That is true about child rearing, you forget the pain and struggle just as soon as the next phase begins. I love you very much. mom

Katie R. said...

That was a very, very nice post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I don’t know if your mom’s feeling were hurt or not, but generally, moms are used to it. Kids sulk and whine and complain about a lot of stuff. Moms take it all in stride. But of course, you know that … now. - carole