Wednesday, January 10, 2007

His eye is on the Pigeon.

Yesterday on my way to work a pigeon was blown down from an overpass by a semi. It hit the top of the semi and rolled off, wings flapping in a giant ball of feathers and blood. It flopped through the air, hit the Lexus in front of me, and landed directly in front of my car where I was able to straddle it without treading on it with my tires.
I cried the whole way to work.
Not because I was so sad about the loss of animal life, but because he must have been so scared and confused. Lauren suggested that perhaps he didn't know what was going on and only thought he got caught in the wind. This is a plausible scenario, I know, what with the fact that it was a pigeon and probably wasn't thinking at all, but it didn't make me feel any better.
When I was a little girl (in 4th grade, to be precise), my dad and I were walking to a coffee shop in Norman, OK where we lived at the time when we came across sparrow with a broken wing. I cried as much then as I did yesterday. Dad tried to comfort me and offered to go back to the bird to "end his suffering." I emphatically denied this option at first but upon more thought I sent him back. I wish I had had the presence of mind to do the same thing yesterday for that dumb pigeon. I probably wouldn't have ended up so upset.
Matthew 10:29 says, "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny ? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father."
So, why did God want me to see that yesterday? What should I draw from history repeating itself in my little life?
All I know at this point is that it wasn't a very good way to start out the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is such a terrible way to start the morning :( What a sad situtation and I think I would have cried just as much. Here is a story for you. I was driving down 494 a couple years ago and a few cars a head of me was a larg semi filled to the top of junk and then behind that semi was a small car. All of a sudden I see something flying through the air which I thought came from the semi...I look to see what it is and sure enough it is a dear! The small car behind the semi had hit the dear I could believe how much height it got It was much higher than the semi. It was a very sad time for me after that I cried for quite a long time afterwards.
~Grace