Monday, January 29, 2007

I'm just saying.

At some point last week I said, "I have a great idea! I'm going to change all the hardware on my kitchen cupboards. It should be an easy job and shouldn't cost more than $100!"
I was wrong on all counts. The project was not a great idea, it was not easy, and so far it has cost me in excess of $200.
Naomi (who proved herself as a very good friend) went to Menards with me on Saturday night, then to Home Depot, then back to Menards, and finally to another Menards in Stillwater. We finally got to work around 8pm on Saturday night and were well into our project when we discovered that the hinges we purchased DIDN'T FIT. Of course, we noticed this AFTER the stores were closed. By then we were both so tired and frustrated that we watched Ugly Betty while we waited for our husbands to return. Thank goodness for Tevo. (Tivo?)
So, Rich and I worked on the cupboards until midnight last night.
Now, I don't know how husband/wife home projects go at YOUR house, but at OUR house, they usually involve someone (me) getting hurt, someone (me) crying for any number of reasons, and someone (else) getting frustrated for both of the aforementioned issues. The project usually ends with apologies, I won't lie.
We still have two cupboards to go. I'd like to meet the person who installed our cupboards. A word to the wise. Installing cupboards does NOT necessarily have to entail stripping EVERY. SINGLE. SCREW.
I'm just saying.

6 comments:

erin said...

Ugh. Enough said.

kristi noser said...

One HOT steamy day John and I decided that some of that sun-blocking film was perfect for the sliding glass door. It just got soooo hot in our kitchen in the summer. Well.
We got one panel on and decided that that was enough, or we were going to have to hire a laywer for the divorce. Crying? Oh yeah. Swearing? OH YEAH.

erin said...

LOL. Thank you. I'm so glad I'm not alone.

idnak said...

Erin, you haven't experienced marital bliss until you've had to reroof your house. In the hottest month of the year. TRUST ME.

Anonymous said...

You have so many more wonderful projects ahead of you! Way to go. How do the cupboards look? FYI, DYI is not that easy.

Anonymous said...

I tried that once. Our cupboards were probably the "in" thing back when the house was built (1970's), so you can imagine. Well, you probably can't. Anyway, they have this horrid hardware on them. Looks like someone stole it from a castle somewhere. I decided I was going change it out to update the look. Yeah. Right. I practically had to pry the handles off AFTER I'd taken out the screws. Yep, you got it...they'd applied the 62 layers of clear coat protectant on AFTER they'd installed the hardware. OHMYGOSH! Who does that??

I also think that the people that make that stuff (hardware and the cabinets themselves) change the standard distance between the screw openings every couple of years to insure that, if you want to change it out, the new ones won't fit.

It's a conspiracy.