Friday, January 12, 2007

Melt Down City

I think everybody has that one friend who makes them feel fat, stupid, and ugly.
I have four.
I spent the evening with them last night and when I combined their perfect-ness and two glasses of wine, and I ended up feeling like Ugly Betty sitting in the corner, eating chips.
It's stupid, I know...but they just make me feel bad. Like I stepped into an issue of Seventeen or Marie Claire, or worst of all, Cosmo, and can't get out. The problem is that I really, really love these girls. It would be easy to say I just won't hang out with them anymore, but I don't want to. I just have to figure out a way to not let them get me down. (It's taken 15 years...why not start now?) I wish I knew what they actually thought of me, you know?
Can anyone identify with what I'm saying?
This, of course, led to a major melt down last night. Poor Richard. He tries to make me feel better about myself when things like this happen, but he can't. Whether he means it or not, I know that he has to say nice things to me, so it just doesn't mean as much as it should.
That's all I have to say. Sorry I'm a little disjointed today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, no picture? C'mon!

Oh, my computer at work has a font called Poor Richard--just thought you'd like to know...

Naomi said...

Erin~ I agree that everyone has that friend. I have felt that way numerous times growing up. I was always the biggest dorkiest girl in my group of friends and sometimes I wondered why they wanted to be my friend at all. So I posted a quote on my site in honor of you. This quote made me cry when I first read it, but it helped me put some things in perspective too. I love you and think you are a beautiful woman. You have a wonderful personality that attracts everyone, and you care so much about your friends. Here's to you!

Anonymous said...

This inspired me to blog, as I have in the past, about this very same topic. I hope this link works:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=8897011&blogID=217337808&MyToken=3c8c9e9a-e006-46a5-ac49-28e7c5937594

THAT'S MY SISTER!

erin said...

I'm speechless.
I love you, sister.

Anonymous said...

You both are beautiful girls that are loved beyond words and always have a smile in your eyes. I want you both to hold your heads high everyday and know you are perfect to me.
Some people are like wheelbarrows--they're easier to push than pull. And some times we just have to move on.
LOVE MY GIRLS...MOM II