Friday, September 14, 2007

Flowers and Jewelry

Remember the guy who totally freaked when I told him I was pregnant?
Well, let's talk about that.
Guys like that are my cross to bear.
When I was in middle school I had a neighbor. I don't want to tell you his name, but it rhymes with "Madam." This Badam really had a crush on me--and looking back on it, it was very sweet. One time he bought me a pair of earrings at a renaissance festival that he went to with his mom, and he brought me flowers when I stayed home from school sick. I, of course, was horrified by this, being 12-years-old, and not at ALL interested in a relationship with someone I thought was a total nerd. (Mom, be fair--he was a nerd.) In fact, I gave the earrings back because I didn't want to give him the "wrong idea." I'm sure it hurt his feelings and what on earth "wrong idea" can there be at the age of twelve?? Oh well.
Despite my horror, however, I could never tell Radam to get lost. I knew, even at 12 (through 17) that he was just a nice kid and it was sweet that he had such an high opinion of me.
Well...this sort of thing started with Padam and continued through high school (rhymes with Schad), though I did finally tell Tchad to scram, when his parents came to my house WHILE I WASN'T THERE and sat across from my parents fo plan our future together. Then in college it was a guy whose name rhymes with Revin Romstomski (though it turns out he actually preferred my BFF--crisis averted).
And now that I'm a career woman, it's Rhymes-with-Rom. Dom manages to come to my desk EVERY time I'm on the phone. He STANDS there just listening, then usually has something silly to tell me. Any chance he has, Pom pats me on the back and asks how I'm doing.
I confess--I'm not treating Nom with much grace today.
I'm doing fine, Lom. I'm a titch crabby, ready for the week to be done, and for the last time I. DON'T. WANT. YOUR. RENAISSANCE. FESTIVAL. EARRINGS.

5 comments:

Carla said...

This reminds me of The Office. When someone whose name rhymes with Randy sang a song and played his banjo to a secretary whose name rhymes with Bam.

Kristin said...

Oh dear! I had one of those in grade school, thankfully he moved away by junior high. This guy, whose name rhymes with Jim, is now a wealthy attorney in Phoenix. He sent me a book on grief via Amazon when dad died. Does this never end?

Katie R. said...

I think NBC should call you for show ideas regarding The Office. Sorry about all the goofballs. At least it's Friday?

Anonymous said...

i wonder what happened to your 12-year old crush, have you heard anything about him since high school. it would just figure that he is rich and hot and he has a trophy wife. i am going to look him up on face book!
love sash

kristi noser said...

No wonder he freaked when you told him you were pregnant.