Friday, January 11, 2008

Dog Whisperer


Pedro needed reminding last night that I am indeed in charge.
I am the mommy.
I am the Alpha dog.
I turned him over on his back to force him to submit to me, and I held him there by his throat(Gently, of course. The exercise was not intended to hurt, only to remind him of who needs to submit to whom in our relationship...), all the while maintaining eye contact.
I didn't tell him he was bad, I didn't hit him, I didn't even yell.
I simply firmly reminded him that I. Am. In. Charge.
Forever and ever, amen.
Oh, did I mention that we're trying a new discipline technique at our house?
For future reference, will this work for toddlers?
I think Cesar would have been proud.

9 comments:

Katie R. said...

I'm thinking it won't but that could just be my toddler, I don't know?

angie said...

at least not in public.

Unknown said...

I would always just get real quiet and when Gracie would ask me what was wrong I would tell her that she had broken my heart and now I had to burn the house down. new blog by the way.

Swirlingeddy said...

We do that with Duncan daily. He doesn't really seem to get our intended message of dominance. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Yes, of course it will work on toddlers, but only those who are born with a full set of teeth and begin eating meat during the first week after birth. A teltale giveaway is if the baby tries to hump your leg in the delivery room. Watch out for that.

erin said...

Can I just mention that I think the only thing that would make the photo of Cesar better would be if he was giving a thumbs up?
I just want to throw that out there.

-V- said...

Cesar is my hero. Parenting wisdom for dog mommies and daddies...

Anonymous said...

Discipline is good. I beg you don't embarrass yourself by trying to reason with a toddler in public. Those parents ALWAYS make me laugh out loud. Erin worry not your baby will be perfect.(ha!) "this from a Grandmothers heart" Your Dad is correct. LOL! I love Pedro but not as much as Baby D...
I would say don't try this method on the baby. But I would however try this on Richard. There is only so much a mother can do. The rest is up to you! You have my blessing train Rich your way. Let me know how it works. MOMII

Jolene said...

i think there is merit in this idea. i may have to try a version of it on my darlings... ;)