Thursday, January 10, 2008

Could've Had a Middle Finger

Shortly after my family moved back to Hudson in 2002, my mom and I were on Vine Street at that stop sign right in front of the high school. The two boys in the Honda in front of us both flipped off the school.
That just didn't make sense to me. How dumb to flip off a building, right? I've thought about it for six years now. I just didn't get it. It's a building. It doesn't even care if you pee on it. It doesn't have feelings, or even a sense of propriety (not to be confused with a sense of property! Oh, I kill myself!).
Today on my way back from my chiro appointment with my drive thru lunch on the seat next to me, I passed a billboard that featured a photo of a half-eaten order of french fries and the tagline "Could've had a V8."
I get it now.
I get why those boys flipped off something that couldn't even see them.

7 comments:

Michelle M said...

That sign would have made me want to flip it off too!

angie said...

plus, really, would a V8 actually substitute a meal? i think that's just unrealistic. how dumb.

Katie R. said...

I say have the V8 after the fries and the finger and it's all good. I don't give the finger so much (children present 100% of the time) as glaring and saying, "Whatever". Needless to say this also falls on deaf ears. Makes you feel better though.

-V- said...

Hahahaha! I was going to blog on that the other day! Don't worry, I did it for you (and later confirmed it in my heart as I enjoyed my over-salted french-fries that same afternoon)... ;-)

kristi noser said...

Know what that reminds me of? When our house burned I flipped off the smoke alarm when it went off. We were in the driveway by then.
Long as we're flippin' off inanimate objects and all.

NoOtherName said...

You kill me too, Erin!

Unknown said...

I had a building pee on me once, but that was a long time ago and i don't like to talk about it. As far as flipping of inanimate objects. I do it to my truck, lamps that burn out when I don't want them to, my sink, objects that i stub my toe on when i am walking around in the darkin my apartment.