Thursday, December 20, 2007

Pedro

Katie R., thanks for asking about Pedro!!
Pedro is a West Highland White Terrier (a Westie).
They are very good with children, but also VERY active. Pedro has always been pretty laid back, though, and not much like some of the other Westies I have met. Even when he was a puppy and we went (to ROCHESTER) to pick him out, he was more calm and subdued than his brothers and sisters who were barking and crawling all over him.
He very rarely barks in the house, and sees the cat as his own personal plaything. The only really bad thing about Westies is how FREAKING smart they are. Pedro can get into or out of ANYTHING and is so stubborn that you can actually see him making the decision to disobey me. As you can see in the photo, we took obedience classes (this was at the costume competition), and Pedro learned quickly what I was teaching him, but often chooses not to obey.
Westies are a lot like Scottie dogs in looks, though smaller, and I think nicer. I don't think I've ever actually met a nice Scottie. Pedro topped out at about 14lbs, and really doesn't stand much taller than our cat.
My favorite thing about Pedro? Besides how sweet he is, is that he can't jump! I love that! I get to decide if he can be on the bed with us, or where he goes. His little legs just aren't made for jumping.
Let me know if you have more questions!
If you decide to get a Westie, please promise me something: Promise that you will name him something appropriate! I wish we had named him Murdoc or Gromit, or something more Celtic in nature, since they are from the Highlands of Scotland! Although, with his laid back attitude, Pedro just seemed to fit, man.

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

whoo ROCHESTER!!!!

hee hee

angie said...

bah HA. he is a great dog. i can tell.

Katie R. said...

Hey thank you sooo very much. I will relay this information to my husband. I do solemnly promise, as a fellow lover of all things Scottish, we would give a Scottish name to our little friend. Cheers! Maybe Nessie or Ledi (as in Ben Ledi)