Monday, December 17, 2007

Boy Choir

Can I get something off my chest?
I have never been a huge fan of an all-boy choir. Truth be told, I find them just a little creepy. The music is beautiful, no doubt, and relaxing and transfixing. I don't intrinsically dislike a song by a boy choir...I'm just not about to pop in my Boy Choir Greatest Hits CD and rock out in the car, if you get my drift.
During the Christmas season, there are a lot of boy choir songs on the radio. I don't mind them, really. But. Do you know what ruins the peaceful, beautiful melody of any Christmas carol sung by a choir of boys? Three words:
Michael W. Smith.
Independently of one another, I don't mind either a boy choir or Michael W., but put them together and I want to cut off my ears and throw them at ol' Smitty. Sometimes I think it would be worth it to never be able to wear earrings again if MWS would stop. collaborating. with. children's. choirs.
I can't be alone in this.
You know how I feel about the Little Drummer Boy. I guess we can just add this to the list of things that make me a Scrooge.

10 comments:

Katie R. said...

I'm right there w/ ya. I don't like the Drummer Boy kid very much either. I now feel like the Grinch before his heart grew so I better go make some Christmas cookies. Although I don't know what they have to do with Baby Jesus either?

Jolene said...

Oh Erin! I was having nearly this exact conversation with myself this morning!! Except I love the boys choirs and wish I had a CD to listen to. BUT I was hearing a song on my way to work this morning and I was just w a i t i n g to hear MWS jump in with his grainy voice -- you're right - independently both are beautiful - together, too much contrast!

angie said...

ha! dave hates that song, too! you grumps. as for the joined forces of MWS and boys, i have no clue what you guys are talking about. maybe it's because i married mr. scrooge, so i don't get to listen to copious amounts of christmas music.

zcoffeegirl said...

Wait until you have a little boy who sings with natural vibrato....nothing sweeter. I agree, Smitty should sing on his own..but I love hearing the boys sing. It's so short lived..pretty soon their voices will change, hair will appear and they're young men...then they leave thier mother to marry some chick...

Okay.I'm sticking to the topic..I have an almost 13 year old and I'd love to freeze him..can you tell?

Katie R. said...

Oh Sherri.... I laugh I cry, you're somethin'.

I need to clarify, I actually really enjoy listening to talented boys sing. (especially Caleb) I just don't like choirs of any kind. I prefer solos. So let it be written, so let it be done. :)

Swirlingeddy said...

I think it sounds nice. Except for the part about Michael W. Smith. And the boys choir.

kristi noser said...

Katie, I mean Pharaoh, that was funny.
Gimmie the choirs--boy choirs Morman Tabernacle choirs, whatever--I luurrrrve them. Smitty, not so much.

Carla said...

I like The Little Drummer Boy. Watching it with my family growing up is one of the few memories I treasure.

erin said...

Just because I don't like him, doesn't mean you can't.

Carla said...

You are right, sweets. I may be the only one that does like TLDB. :O