Monday, November 19, 2007

Helps

I have something I need to get off my chest.
Remember the spiritual gift of "Helps" that oh-so-many of you women out there have in abundance?
I don't have it.
You won't find me elbowing my way into the kitchen to help clean up after dinner. I won't drop what I'm doing to help a co-worker find a stapler. I won't put your project before mine. It just doesn't occur to me. It's not because I don't WANT to be helpful. I just don't have that gene.
My job poses a serious problem in this area. I am a paid helper. I get worn out easily trying to help create presentations, help find sh*t, help find PEOPLE, help schedule meetings, help organize...
Now, this isn't to say that I won't do absolutely EVERYTHING necessary to help a friend or loved one in need, and that's the truth. Surgery? I'm there. Broken femur? Count me in. Death in the family? You can count on me.
It just probably won't occur to me to do your dishes. I'm sorry.
And that's all I have to say about that.





Other random thoughts:
1. Rich and I are ready for Iron Chef America: VELVEETA!
3. As well as Iron Chef America: SPAM!
4. And Iron Chef America: PEANUT BUTTER AND THE COTTON GIN!
5. Yes, I will be out with the masses shopping on Black Friday. What do I need?
-New undergarments
-A camcorder (or whatever we're calling them in Y2K)
-To spend the rest of my birthday money. (I'm thinking it might be time for another purse. Or some more earrings. Or a camcorder. I just don't know!)
6. I HAVE TO see Love in the time of Cholera if it's the last thing I do!
7. I might ACTUALLY get the laundry done before we leave for Nebraska. RAD!
8. Try Puffs Plus with Vicks even if you don't have a cold. I've never enjoyed a tissue more.
9. Thanksgiving is on Thursday! As said in Corky said, "Get me out of this 'ell 'ole!"

5 comments:

angie said...

thank you for verbalizing this!!!! i don't have that gene either and i always feel awful. i mean, i'm not a bad person, i just don't think! ugh.

Jolene said...

LOL! I was just going to write almost the same thing as Angie, again!!! (Didn't this just happen last week?) Maybe it was on a different blog - I can't remember.

Anyhow - I often have that problem. I assume people have everything under control and that if they don't, they'll ask for help. It's so nice to not feel alone on this. And Ang - I had no idea!!!

Mandi said...

There you go stealing all the glory for the kleenex again!!! hahaha

kristi noser said...

I'll be the one in the kitchen. Along with laundry, dishes are one of my favorite things to do--oh and matching socks.

-V- said...

WHAT a relief - whoa. I was thinking of doing a blog post on this soon, actually... Nice to not be alone in having gotten missed on the 'helps' distribution! I'm so with you - it's not about not being ABLE to help out here and there; I just never know where to start and don't NOTICE things that need to be done. Doesn't come naturally. Thought it was somewhat an 'I' vs. 'E' thing; maybe it's 'N' vs. 'S'. (Or maybe not every single pickin' preference has to do with MB). ;-)