Friday, November 30, 2007

Do NOT collect $200

I'm having one of those days where I doubt my tenacity, courage and stamina in this to-each-his-own race to the finish. Does the line, "I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me," ever make you shake your head in frustration?
WE are not supposed to see life this way. WE are supposed to be filled with the Holy Spirit and thereby shine His light to the world. Do you think there is a "Get out of jail FREE" card for Grace?
Do you think God ever says, "You know what? You did your best. This really is an impossible situation. You don't have to keep going. Here. Here's a new handbag."
Is there a line, a limit? Do we ever reach a point in the "race," where we've done enough and can retire?
Don't answer that.
But really. What does God think? Does He think I'm doing a good job? Does He think I'm doing my best? Is He proud of me?
Last night, Dad read to me (paraphrased), "All we have to do is proclaim the salvation of Jesus Christ and the rest will follow. If we do that, the listener will never be the same, regardless of their choice."
I believe this.
But what about me?
It all comes down to one thing: Who am I in Christ?
How the [bleep] do I know?
Really? Who AM I in Christ? Do we ever really know?
Do you know?
Do you know who you are in Christ?
While I'm at it, do any of YOU know who I am in Christ? Let me know if you have some ideas. I'm at a loss.

10 comments:

theswamphare said...

I happen to really like who God made you; anybody that doesn't can come to my house and get their Hiney whooped (please call ahead)

Swampy-friend of Erin

Katie R. said...

I like Swampy-friend of Erin.

Erin, I don't know. I feel as though I just do the best I can with what I know is right. Helpful? Probably not, I'm not a theologian.

erin said...

Thanks, Swampy. You're a good friend.
Katie, I think you're exactly right. That's the conclusion I've come to...some days it's just a LOT harder than others.

Jolene said...

i think as brothers and sisters in Christ, it's our joyful duty to "lift" each other up when we need a little extra love.

**hug**

i'm sorry you're having a rough day. even though we've never met, i have a great impression of who you are as a person - just with reading what you have to say, and reading what your friends say to, and of, you.

Jesus knows we're all a work in progress - don't be so hard on yourself.

Anonymous said...

We can never see the "whole" picture. Only God can see it all. We just need to model Christ in the things we say and do. We need to express love freely to all we come in contact with. It could be years before you understand your encounter with people. But something you say or do today could have an impact for years to come. God will bless you Erin as you seek Him every day. lovemom

Carla said...

I am His own. 1 Samuel 12:22
He sees my heart. 1 Samuel 16:7
He heals me. 2 Kings 20:5
He is near me. Psalm 34:18
He rescues me. Psalm 91:14
He is enthralled by my beauty. Psalm 45:11
He knows me. Jeremiah 1:5
I bear His name. Jeremiah 14:9
He sets me free. John8:36
I am His workmanship. Isaiah 64:8
He does not judge me by my appearances. John 7:24
I am wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14

I am not one to throw Scripture at people but dear friend, I struggle with whose I am too. I read this and pray that I can soon believe it.
I love you.

theswamphare said...

Yeah, what Carla said.

kristi noser said...

Yeah, what they all said.
And by the way God doesn't give handbags, He says, "Here's a bunch of money you overpaid the hospital six months ago. Go buy some sweaters." At least that's what He said to me...

You are being used by God every day. sometimes you just don't see it for a while. For real.

zcoffeegirl said...

We had a speaker come to Latte that totally blew us away. She sat down at her pottery wheel and talked to her little piece of clay as if she were God talking to one of us. She spoke of His love in such a fresh way. It was uncomfortable at times because I don't always see God as loving me so deeply. She portrayed such a beautiful picture of how God is always molding us, sometimes allows our clay pots to be smashed, only to start over, but always loving us and pouring water over our dry spots, going through the fire, all the analogies you could think of with a clay pot. In the end, she held up a masterful, astounding pot. And I dont' think there was a dry eye in the room. Why? Because we all want to be loved, cherished, sung over, adored, and we have a hard time believing that is how God sees us. But, he does. There's so much more of Him.....

Zephaniah 3:17
"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

Dear Sweet Sister in Christ..you were God's idea before the foundation of time. You can know this..and not always feel it. When I don't feel like He's there..I keep asking, praying, and eventually, He always sends me something to hold onto. He has never failed me. Ever.

Lots of love from this new blogger friend coming to you.

kristi noser said...

O. M. S.
Somebody get over here and give me a hug.
Thank you Sheri. I remember that lady--can we have her back next year?