Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Closed for Business

I turned off the lights at 8:57.
When I get 17-year-olds claiming to be "candy collectors," I'm done.
I probably shouldn't have made fun of them. I'm totally gonna get egged tonight.
At least the cars are in the garage.
As I mentioned to Carla, I hate this "holiday." Dressing up is fun, sure, and handing out candy is usually even more fun, but ...I dunno. I miss the days when costumes took thought and planning. Last year Richard and I went as Olive Oyle and Popeye. If you know either of us, you know this was a VERY good costume, considering our perspective body-types.
A mask to make it look like you have a knife through your rubbery vampire head just doesn't trip my trigger. Especially when you're wearing your Roseville Hockey sweatshirt.
I will try to find a photo of our costumes from last year. They really were very good.
I also think it's worth mentioning that the best costumes tonight were Harry Potter and his Vampire friend. I wasn't convinced until they told me they were "Harry and Scary." They were only about ten. I thought they were pretty cute.
* * *
Boy...upon re-reading this, I sound pretty crotchety.
Next year I'll probably be the mean old lady who hands out peanut butter taffy and root beer barrels.
I guess that's still better than raisins.

9 comments:

Carla said...

I have a feeling SarahBeara is done with this "holiday" as well. It's dumb. I just love dressing up the kiddoes because all the "normal" neighbors enjoy seeing them too.

theswamphare said...

My neighbor, across the street when I was little...they ran out of candy, so his wife goes to the store to get more; in the meantime he hands out...wait for it...individual weiners.

erin said...

LOL!!!
Oh my gosh, that's funny.
I guess raisins would be better than weiners.

Kelli said...

LOLOLOLOL!!! What are you supposed to do with THAT?? Not like you can just drop it in the bag with all the other stuff. Crack me up.

Saltines would be better than wieners.

Carla said...

You would eat the weiners right away as an appetizer and carry on.....

erin said...

Happy Halloweiner!

Cara said...

Erin,
I must say that I thought the same about Halloween until last night when I got to watch my munchkin light up at the fact that people were actually giving her candy. I like to think of it as another "giving" holiday, and a chance to learn manners. We were teaching Em to say "trick-or-treat" and "thank-you" after they filled up her bag with goodies (that Josh and I get to eat later!) I am sure that next year when you have DesvousJunior to tot around, it may bring on a different meaning when you see his/her eyes light up light a Christmas tree. It was a blast! Now I reserve the right to think differently when she has a cavity at an early age, and won't go to bed tonight because of the sugar high.....

Sorry we didn't make it over--our CareBear was pooped.

Joey said...

We never celebrated it growing up, so I never knew what I was missing out on.

Reading these posts, I don't feel too bad about "missing out"!!

Sig. said...

Hey, peanut butter taffy isn't bad. I actually kinda like that stuff. :)