Wednesday, October 03, 2007

This Little Light of Mine

On my mind today:
I went for Chinese food with my dad a couple of weeks ago. (It was a one-shot deal, and I can't stomach the thought of Chinese, once again.)
My fortune cookie said, "Your influence has a profound impact on others."
Sometimes I entertain the intensely self-serving thought that this might be true.
I'd much prefer to think that if it is true, it's the Holy Spirit shining through me.
I have the fortune hanging on my bulletin board behind my desk phone at work to remind myself not to "hide it under a bushel" or "let Satan blow it out."
Some days it's a lot easier than others.

10 comments:

angie said...

sorry to be the adolesent here, but have you already contemplated its new depth by adding "in bed?" yeah. college grad. woot!

erin said...

LOL--Thanks, Angie.

Kim N. said...

My Mom lives in a retirement community down in Texas during the winter. The group of Retired folks (Old People) go to Chinese every week. They go around the table and read their fortunes and they add the " in bed " part! So I guess it isn't just for adolescents!

angie said...

oh thank god! i guess it turns out i'm more mature than i thought. :)

Mandi said...

I have a fortune hanging on the bulletin board on the back of my desk too. It says, "Magic will be created when an unconventional person comes to stay." I only saved it cause it was dirty!

theswamphare said...

Hey, c'mon 1980's people; it's no longer 'in bed, it's 'with your tongue'.

oh, and Erin; have you tried 'Beano'?

erin said...

Oh, Swampy. It's not a gastro-intestinal aversion to Chinese. It's a hormonal aversion!

erin said...

Also, I think you guys are missing the point of the post...

kristi noser said...

ANGIE STARTED IT!

No offense to you Angie, but I have always hated the practice of "in bed" after a fortune is read. I think it's stupid.

Oh, and Erin, keep shining that light. You're doing great. And thanks for the light you shone my way last week.

-V- said...

Hm... I wonder how many people keep chinese cookie fortunes toward the back of their desks somewhere near the phone - that's where mine reside as well... (before I burned them, of course - because fortunes are of the evil one).